Native Women Running is an organization dedicated to encouraging Native women runners in the running community and amplifying their voices on and off the reservation. Verna started the group in 2018 and has seen it grow in both size and influence.
Tim & Jess talk with Verna about important issues like mascots and representation, the history of the Navajo, her pride in her Native language, disproportionate violence and unsolved murders against Native women, land acknowledgment, and the overlap between the issues facing Native women and those faced by other minority populations.
The conversation provides invaluable insight into how Native women runners are viewed, judged, or overlooked altogether. Verna does a wonderful job representing her cause, educating listeners on the challenges Native women face, and sharing actionable tips for how ALL runners, regardless of where they fit into the running industry, can support Native women runners.
- Native Women Running
- Verna Volker
- Secretary of the Interior – Deb Holland (1st Native American Interior Secretary)
- The Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Run the Land Sweatshirts and T-shirts!
- Ted Metellus Episode on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Native Women Running 3rd Annual MMIW Virtual Run
- Navajo Code Talkers
- Windtalkers the movie
- Follow Team BibRave on social!
🧡 Kim – BibRave Community & Account Coordinator